Friday, May 30, 2008

Books in the Mail

I'm going to keep my first post short and simple:

I just ordered the new translation of the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the mostly Hebrew Old Testament) by Albert Pietersma and Benjamin Wright, which is somewhat unimaginatively but accurately entitled A New English Translation of the Septuagint.

It's certainly been long past time to put the old Brenton translation of the Septuagint to rest. Though judging by the longevity of the Whiston and Yonge translations of Josephus and Philo respectively, despite the availability of modern scholarly translations, that won't happen any time soon, and more's the pity.

I only hope that Logos and/or BibleWorks will release a software version in the near future.

I'll post a review once I've had a chance to take a good look at it.

No comments: