Thursday, June 19, 2008

iPhone and iPod Touch Apps

The iPhone (3G!) is finally coming to my part of the world, and as I contemplate the wisdom of purchasing one (along with the baggage that comes with it in the form of a 3 year contract at no doubt outrageous monthly premiums), I eagerly await the expected flood of 3rd party applications that will finally be released (early July) in a form that isn't tied to a wireless connection of some sort (i.e., cellular or internet). (For examples of what's available right now on an iPhone or iPod Touch that is tethered to some sort of connection, see this post by Mark Bertrand and this one and this one by Rick Mansfield.)

I'm particularly interested in bible software, of course. I'm not sure how much use I'd really get out of it (I can't imagine myself using my Touch in church or in a classroom or devotions), but I'd like to have it just because it would be cool to be able to look things up at a whim no matter where I happen to be at the moment.

I'm sure we'll see a variety of translations made available, but what I'd really love to see is the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia and the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (27th ed.) on my iPod Touch, with as many goodies included as possible (tagged for quick lemma searches, parsing, diglots, etc.). Of course this assumes that the iPhone will eventually support Hebrew which it apparently does not yet do.

What would be really outstanding is if some enterprising bible software company (esp. Logos or BibleWorks) would make available some of their other primary texts (Josephus, LXX, Philo, Pseudepigrapha, DSS, etc.) available as well, even if it was only in English. But that's probably asking for too much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be awesome to have an application like that,as someone who has been exposed to both of these Biblical languages (with a noted interest for greek) that would be something really cool, websites like www.zhubert.com in an offline version would be really useful, but what can i say? i have an ipod touch 8gb, not a lot of space to fill it with stuff, i will grow to like flash technology for storage :)Let me know if something like that comes out: navamoises@gmail.com
Mdiv Student www.nobts.edu

Hanoch said...

I too have only 8GB of space. I'm looking forward to upgrading to a 32GB edition once they've given the Touch a real make-over/update in terms of features.