Saturday, June 7, 2008

The JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh

I love diglots, but have found it difficult to find good ones. Needless to say, Interlinears don't count, since, though they often include an English translation in the outside column, it is more properly a language tool rather than a real bible. For one thing, the interlinear English distracts attention away from the original text, and for another, the English translation in the outside column is usually treated as an afterthought, with no care given to its presentation. It's hardly a bible that one would curl up with and read for either pleasure or devotional purposes.

So when I saw a post by Iyov taking to task Christian publishers for not producing more diglots, and Christians for not making more use of diglots, I not only had to sadly agree with his point, I thought I'd do my part to help remedy the latter by displaying the advantages of one particular Hebrew-English diglot that I've loved ever since I first purchased it in the hopes that a few more Christians will consider buying one.

The New Testament is fairly well-served by the GBS edition that contains the Nestle-Aland 27th and the RSV and now the NET diglot (which I don't have yet, but they don't exactly make it easy, do they?). The former's existence, in particular, is fairly well known among Christian seminarians, I think, so I won't bother discussing the features of that edition. The only thing I'll say about the GBS edition is that I wish those folks would update the RSV and take out all the archaic thee's and thou's, since I doubt it would take much work in this age of computers (the archaic grammar I don't mind at all), or alternatively, use the NRSV as the English translation.

There's also the excellent Greek-English Synopsis of the Gospels reviewed here by Jesus Saenz on Mark Bertrand's blog.

And now that there's a new translation of the Septuagint out, I imagine that it's just a matter of time before we see a new diglot. Anything's got to be better than the old Brenton one.


However, to finally get around to the subject of this post, the best Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) diglot I've seen is the one published by the Jewish Publication Society in four editions: pocket, student, cloth, and leather. I have two of the four (pocket and cloth) and wish that I had sprung for the real leather version when it was still in print (at the time, I was a poor graduate student and couldn't justify the extra dough).

(Addendum: David Stein, the original managing editor and co-designer of these editions left a comment below informing me that these are also available in electronic format--a PDF-based e-book--here.)

These have been around awhile (like the NASB Classic Companion I reviewed here), but since I haven't noticed anyone else giving it the Bertrand/Mansfield treatment, I thought I'd have a go.

The JPS Tanakh (Tanakh is a Hebrew acronym for Torah-Prophets-Writings = Christian Old Testament), for those who aren't familiar with it, is a fairly literal translation of the Masoretic Text (the version of the Jewish scriptures that the rabbis preserved). It isn't as literal as the NASB or even the ESV since it can be rather idiomatic in places (often it simply replaces an original Hebrew idiom judged to be unclear with something more contemporary that approximates it's meaning). I'd roughly equate it to the NRSV in terms of literalness.

Since it is a Jewish bible, it scrupulously follows the Masoretic Text (i.e., the Leningrad Codex, and as such is nearly but not quite identical to BHS), ignoring other texts and textual traditions in the text itself, though it does take note of textual variants, including possible emendations, in footnotes (unfortunately transliterated).


The cloth edition is quite a hefty volume (10 1/4" x 7 1/8" x 2 1/4"), while the leather edition is even larger.

For size comparison purposes, here is the TNIV Reference stacked on top of the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh: Cloth edition. You can see the latter is quite a lot thicker.

The dark blue padded cover is very nice. It's essentially a hardback covered in a spongy faux-leather type material. It feels a lot like the covers on those old gi-mongous KJV family bibles that everyone used to own. The page edges are gilded with gold and there is one blue ribbon included.

Here they are side by side. The TNIV Reference is on the left, while the JPS Tanakh is on the right.

The text is presented in two parallel columns with English on the left and Hebrew on the right.

The text lays flat, even at Genesis 1.

The font is a nice size (I'd estimate about 10 pt.) with uncommonly generous spacing between each line. Lines average about 8 or 9 words in English. The Hebrew font is clear and easy to read, even the vowels and cantillation marks.

The Hebrew tends to be more compact than the English so the verses don't quite match up in the bottom half of each page, but I'm glad they didn't chop up the verses to simply match them up. It would have de facto turned this bible into one of those dreaded verse-by-verse editions. The editors have, however, gone to the trouble to re-align the text at each chapter and kept the Hebrew and English within one verse of each other at the bottom of each page.

The overall presentation is beautiful to look at and easy on the eyes, though I often wish that they had devoted each entire page to a single column, paragraph formatted text, English on one page and Hebrew on the facing page (like the GBS New Testament diglot), and that is lined up at every new paragraph, rather than dividing the page into columns and lining it up at every chapter as they did.

One of the few defects that mars this edition is some moderate bleed-through (If you click on one of the above images and blow it up, you can see what I mean). It isn't really any worse than the TNIV Reference or the ESV Personal Size Reference though, so if you can put up with it in those bibles, I daresay you won't find this appreciably worse. Another defect is that you don't get much in the way of margins.

I'm no expert in bindings, but I'd hazard a guess from the above picture that it's sewn, though I can't be sure.

One drawback for Christians, is that the chapters and verses in this edition follow the Masoretic Text and thus won't always match up with what most are used to in the Old Testament. When reading alone this won't be a big deal, but in a group setting (e.g., bible study or following along in a sermon) this could be an annoyance (especially in books like the Psalms). Those who don't mind the KJV might appreciate Aron Dotan's Parallel Bible Hebrew-English Old Testament published by Hendrickson, since it preserves the Christian book order and versification (it's about to be re-printed).

Another feature of this bible that some will view as a drawback, but I view as a huge advantage (especially for Christians) is the order of the books, which generally follows the Leningrad Codex with a few concessions to the order of books found in most Hebrew printed editions. It could give Christians a fresh perspective on the Old Testament (e.g., Daniel is found among the Writings in the Tanakh, and not among the prophets, as in the Christian OT, and the Deuteronomistic History can be found intact, without the intrusion of Ruth).

Everything considered, I don't think you can go wrong with buying this edition, especially if you don't already own a copy of the NJPS translation, which you should have anyways.


If this edition is too large for you, the student edition and the pocket edition are still available for purchase.

However, I'm sad to say that I can't recommend the student edition. I saw it several years ago when it had just been printed (at the annual Society of Biblical Literature convention), and it had a very bad gutter problem. You had to pry the bible wide open to read the text which went right into the spine. I imagine that they've fixed it by now, but I'd have a look first to make sure. I was told by the JPS spokesperson at the exhibit that year that they'd be fixing it in the next print run (at the time, he said it would come in a matter of months), but when I checked again a couple years later, it still hadn't been fixed from what I could tell.



Here's a video I found of what looks like the student edition. At one point he opens it up and shows the text. Either the gutter problem isn't as bad as I remember it or they've somewhat alleviated the problem. To me, it still looks like the binding pinches the text too much in the gutter though. Too bad, since the size represents a good trade-off between form and function.


On the other hand, if you can get past the odd shape (6" x 4" x 1.75") of the "pocket" edition (you'd have to have pretty large pockets), it's quite functional. The layout is exactly the same as the cloth edition, only with smaller print, which is comparable to the print of the original ESV compact editions (not the deluxe compact). It retains the nice line spacing of the cloth edition though this extra space could have been used to increase the font size if they had gone to the trouble of specially formatting the bible for this edition.

The text block itself is almost exactly the same size in both editions since they both have the exact same number of pages. The slight difference in thickness is accounted for by the fact that the cloth edition has a very thick padded cover.

For those with poor eyesight, though, the Hebrew vowels and cantillation marks might be a little tough to make out. Also, the text does tend to run just a bit too far into the gutter (but not as badly as the student edition and just about par for the course in the current bible-making climate) and it still has the same moderate bleed-through problems as the cloth edition. (I tried to take a picture with my crappy camera but I can't get a decent one that isn't one big blur.)

All in all, though, I'm quite happy to have this small edition to lug around as the cloth edition is more or less anchored to my desk.

Oh yeah, one last thing: it doesn't exactly lay flat.

(Addendum: Iyov has posted some related thoughts here. I look forward to his posts on other Hebrew-English diglots.)

14 comments:

Iyov said...

Wonderful post! I've added some comments on the different editions of the JPS diglot here.

Anonymous said...

The thing I dream of is a new polyglot in the tradition of the great polyglots from the early days of printing.
I want a bible with Hebrew, English and Septuagint for the OT (preferably with variant readings from the Dead Sea Scrolls, Aleppo Codex, Samaritain text, and various versions of the Greek in the footnotes), and English/Greek for the NT, also with variants.
It's probably pushing, but for the books of the OT where there are divergent Greek versions (Daniel springs to mind), I'd like the alternatives printed in parallel columns.
While I can download all the parallel texts I want from the web, I want a nice book that I can haul around and scare my students/people on the train/family members with.

David E. S. Stein said...

Speaking as managing editor and co-designer of the original edition in 1999, this seems like a fair review. Thanks.

Although your interest is obviously in in print editions, your readers may also be interested in electronic editions. (I myself have no stake in sales either way.) The JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh has been issued as a PDF-based e-book. It is available at several different levels of functionality. See http://www.PublishersRow.com/eBookShuk/cart/shopproductdetail.asp?id=98

Hanoch said...

Jacob: I'd love to see an edition like that, but you'd probably need a separate English translation for the MT and the LXX, at least in some books (Jeremiah in particular comes to mind). Also, such a book would be gi-normous; i'd imagine it would have to be split into two or three parts.

David: I'll make a note of the availability of those electronic editions in the review above.

H Jim said...

Thanks for the thorough review. It's good to see some people with an active interest in diglot Bibles!
But . . .
At the risk of seeming like a contrarian, b/c someone might pop in here looking for a good Hebrew/English diglot, I want to offer my own very different take on the NJPS diglot.

1) I personally do not think "literal" is a good way to describe the NJPS. On the dynamic/formal spectrum, I'd put it about where the HCSB is, maybe.
2) While the Hebrew follows the MT, the English translation resorts to emmendation a good bit. Not as much as, say, the NEB, but more than, say the ESV. I found this along with the not so literal English translation to make for a very frustrating diglot, as it wasn't all that helpful for checking my translation.
3) Your cloth binding looks to be sturdy, but the editions I've had (the student edition and the pocket edition), construction wise were both utter garbage. Pages falling out and covers falling off everywhere. Just truly aweful.

I got so frustrated with this diglot that I shopped around and found a stellar replacement: The Stone Edition Tanach (yes, they spell it Tana*c*h, not Tana*k*h) by Artscroll. Fabulous! The translation is quite literal yet readable-think ESV. The craftsmanship is absolutely superb. Sturdy smythe-sewn binding. Nice paper. Beautiful hard bound (and leather over boards) editions. Plus, the Stone Edition contains commentary distilled from Rabbinic commentares (mostly Rashi and Radak). This commentary is helpful and for me, as a Christian, really gives me a fresh perspective on the text and its interpretation.

For what it's worth! Thanks for letting me post my view!

H Jim said...

Oh, and by the way, the Stone Edition Tanach is in a single column paragraph format!

Hanoch said...

H Jim:

Thanks for the comments. I'd agree with your assessment of the translation. A good comparison is the HCSB. In fairness, though, I did say "fairly literal" and then qualified the statement further. I'll have to check out the Stone edition. Sounds promising.

Anonymous said...

Tanakh
first book of Samuel has fifty mistakes.
second book of Samuel has seventy mistakes.

first book of Kings has eighty mistakes.
second book of Kings has one hundred mistakes.

Tanakh has three hundred mistakes in four books.

Book of Ezra has thirty mistakes.
Deuteronomy has sixty mistakes.

Tanakh has three hundred ninety mistakes in six books.

Bob James said...

I've been constantly pressing lately on a group of friends who are engaging in homosexual sex. I keep telling them they are going to hell, but they continue to listen.

One day I walked in on them accidentally while they were having homosexual sex. Apparently, homosexual men like to perform anal sex, which is where a man inserts his penis into another man's rectum (from behind). The way that this is done is they tend to use extra lubrication, since the rectum is not naturally lubricated like a woman's vagina is.

Regardless, it was absolutely putrid, and I hope one day my friends listen to me about this abhorrent thing called "homosexual sex". It is absolutely disgusting!

Mike Hunt said...

Oh no, that must have been disturbing what you had to witness! Wanted to let you know that I’m praying for you during this time of trouble and hope that your friends realize that gay sex truly is wrong!

Anonymous said...

The pee is stored in the balls

Bobby Jameson said...

Homosexual sex

John Sully said...

Gay cunt fag fuck

Thomas Strand said...

gay cunt