Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tiger

I've never played golf in my life (I'm not counting pitch & putt courses or the driving range), so I'm not much of a golf fan. I am, however, a Tiger fan. Ever since he destroyed the field at the Masters in 1997, I've been hooked. I guess you can say I'm a fan of excellence, and whatever Tiger is, he is excellent.

Today, Tiger had one of his more amazing rounds, which is saying a lot, since he's had quite a few over the course of his career. NBC is providing footage of all of Woods' shots, round by round. Take a look at the long eagle putts on 13 and 18, as well as the amazing (flukey) birdie on 17.

Woods is a perfect 13 for 13 when holding at least a share of the lead after 54 holes in majors, which is simply unprecedented due to the enormous pressure on a final round leader in such tournaments. He's up one shot heading into tomorrow's finale, which doesn't bode well for his fellow golfers' chances.

BTW, this year's US Open is being held at Torrey Pines, where Woods has already won 6 times. By all rights, the US Open looks as if it's Tiger's, but there's the not so little issue of his knee which was definitely giving him trouble throughout the day. It should make things interesting.

Addendum: Here's video of Woods' three amazing shots from the 3rd round:



Addendum: Round 4, 18th hole, another one for the ages:

No comments: