Friday, July 4, 2008

My Top Five Bible Translations: #5 TNIV (2004)

In the recent past, I've actually encouraged my fairly conservative students and fellow parishioners to burn their NIVs. They usually laugh, and then I tell them I'm only half-joking.

So why is this heir to the NIV on my list? To tell the truth, mostly to round out my top five; generally speaking, I only use the other four translations on the list. I do like this translation somewhat better than its predecessor (maybe only because I've mellowed with age) but obviously that isn't saying very much.

Cons
Almost from the moment I started learning Greek and Hebrew as an undergrad, I've felt that the NIV was a paraphrase, albeit restrained, masquerading as a real translation. It does succeed in being readable but sacrifices far too much in doing so for my taste.

I have nothing against paraphrases, mind you, and have occasionally recommended them to those whose reading skills are challenged. For instance, I think this is a good translation for children since it's written at a grade 7 or 8 level. I was given an NIV as a child and found that much easier to read than the KJV I had been using. I also increasingly come across English-as-a-second-language students nowadays and I think the TNIV is a fine compromise between readability and "accuracy" for such students. However, do the rest of us really need such a dumbed-down translation? I really don't think so.

The issue of gender-neutrality is part and parcel of the theory of translation that lies behind the TNIV. Given its translation philosophy, it makes sense for the TNIV to employ gender neutrality. However, since I prefer literal translations, I dislike the gender-neutrality of the TNIV, but it's just part of my overall dislike of dynamic equivalent translations, rather than anything particular against gender-neutrality (the NRSV is also on this list).

Then there's the theologically tendentious translations that plague all evangelical editions (e.g., Red Sea instead of Sea of Reeds in Exodus 13-15; virgin instead of young woman in Isa 7:14). Thankfully, the alternative translations are typically footnoted. I simply privilege the footnotes above the main text in such situations.

Pros
There are two basic reasons why this translation has made this list:
  1. R. Mansfield's arguments about catering to the audience. I occasionally preach. Since the bibles in the pews at my church are almost invariably the NIV, and the TNIV is reasonably close to the NIV, I've resolved to use the TNIV on such occasions. It's really a matter of convenience for the congregation, more than anything else. For teaching situations, I'd always insist on a more literal translation. As for my own personal use, I do try to work my way through the bible in a different translation each time, so if I start running out of translations, I may give this one a try some day, but it's doubtful, given the plethora of new/revised translations produced in the last 10 years.
  2. It doesn't hurt that they published quite a nice edition recently, and an even nicer edition of the TNIV Reference Bible is on the way. I appreciate publishers who go the extra mile to produce a bible in an attractive format. The folks at Zondervan have definitely been listening to what a significant segment of the customer base wants and have responded admirably. In my book, that is reason enough to purchase a copy of this translation.
Editions Worth Having
Of the various (cheap) editions that have been published, the
TNIV Reference edition is the only one really worth having. If you don't already own it, and don't mind spending extra for a nice edition, I'd wait for the new deluxe leather edition that is due out in December.
TNIV Reference Bible, bonded leather ($23.09 at Amazon)
TNIV Reference Bible,
renaissance leather ($62.99 at Amazon, available in December)

No comments: